After posting my dad’s stuffed jacket potato recipe a while ago, I figured I’d mix things up and give sweet potatoes a go. Sweet potato stuffed with spinach, hummus and feta is not only delicious and simple to throw together, it’s also super nutritious. The hummus and chickpeas are packed with protein and the spinach provides iron, two of the main things that I as a vegetarian can’t get enough of.
Anyway, the weather has finally started brightening up in Austria and this dish will definitely be one of my staple lunches this summer. If you’ve got any hummus or chickpeas left after making this recipe, you might want to check out hummus pasta salad or chana masala chickpea curry.
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 3 balls of frozen spinach, de-frosted
- 4 tbsp chickpeas
- 100g feta cheese (alternatively, leave this out to make the dish vegan)
- 1/4 lemon, squeezed (optional)
- sprinkle of fresh parsley (optional)
Pro tip: Mix things up a bit by going for garlic or lemon hummus instead of plain!
1. Prick the sweet potato a few times with a fork then pop it in the microwave for around 6-8 minutes or until soft.
2. Cut it in half, then remove the fleshy insides from the sweet potato skin. Scoop the flesh into a bowl and save the skins for later.
3. Mash the sweet potato flesh with a fork until all of the lumps are gone and the mixture is smooth.
4. Stir in the hummus before tossing in the spinach, chickpeas, feta and lemon. Combine thoroughly.
5. Spoon the mixture back into the potato skins then top with more feta and parsley.
It tastes great warm or cold – glass of summery white wine optional yet recommended!
Inspired by this recipe from Cookin’ Canuck.